Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Grilled Tofu Kebabs

I've been waiting to make this introduction. I've had a back log of blogs waiting to be posted. But now, I can introduce to you...my new (to me) Canon 20D. FINALLY, I got an SLR. The difference is amazing even in the very first few shots I took you could see the crisp and clean difference from my point and shoot.

Now onto the good stuff, grilled tofu. My new favorite item of the summer. I love tofu but previously have had such a hard time cooking it at home. It just never tasted good. Now I've found that if you grill it with a little salt and pepper....oh, wonderful!

These kebabs have scallions and summer squash as well. Who knew grilled scallions would be so divine? I love it!

My tip for the recipe is a no brainer (although I forgot to do it); soak your wooden skewers prior to grilling.

Tofu Kebabs with Cilantro Sauce
Source: Everyday Food from Martha Stewart
Yield: Four servings

2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grates
1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 scallions, white and green parts separated and cut into 1-inch lengths
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, weighted and cut into 12 pieces
2 summer squash, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces

Heat grill to medium. In a food processor, combine cilantro, 1/4 cup oil, jalapeno, ginger, lime juice, and scallion greens. Blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Combine tofu, scallion whites, and 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Thread tofu and scallion whites onto four skewers, then thread squash onto four skewers.

Clean and lightly oil hot grates. Grill squash kebabs, covered, until tender, 11 to 13 minutes, turning occasionally. Grill tofu kebabs until scallions are soft, 4 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally; brush with cup cilantro sauce and grill 30 seconds more. Serve kebabs with remaining cilantro sauce.

2 comments:

Fashion Minute said...

I stumbled upon your blog when doing a search on Google for specific ingredients which brought me to an amazing muffin recipe that I used yesterday... DELICIOUS!

I've 'bookmarked' your link and will be checking it out often.

Thanks!

F.M.

Kacey said...

Woohoo camera!!!